Images

Video

Tags

Search 

Main page :: Forum :: Ultrasound cases - Sonograms, cine-loops etc. ::

Accessory Thyroid Lobe

Tags: Thyroid gland sonography, GE Logiq E, Clinical report, Pediatric

Accessory Thyroid Lobe

A teenager came to the public clinic for an ultrasound of the thyroid gland.

On ultrasound, an accessory lobe is visualized in the posterior parts of the left lobe.

I found 2 similar echograms in 3 (2 of them are reissues) russian sonography manuals.

Few quotes in my translation:

"Anatomical variant of the thyroid gland structure in a healthy 12-year-old child. Oblique-longitudinal scanning of the left lobe. An accessory lobule of the gland is determined along the posterior surface of the lobe, in the region of its lower pole."

Clinical Guide to Ultrasound Diagnostics in Pediatrics, under ed. of M.I. Pykov, 1998, p. 332, fig. 6

Children's ultrasound diagnostics. under ed. of M.I. Pykov, 2001, p. 570, fig. 6

"longitudinal view of the accessory lateral lobule of the thyroid gland"

A practical guide to ultrasound diagnostics. General ultrasound diagnostics. under ed. of V.V. Mitkov, 2006, p. 613, fig. 16

And one more quote for a general excursion into the topic:

"Other anomalies in the development of the thyroid gland are the accessory lobes. The most common is the third, pyramidal lobe. At echography, its determined anteriorly and cranial to the isthmus. The accessory lobes may have a different location."

Clinical guide to ultrasound diagnostics. under ed. of V.V. Mitkov, Volume 2, 1996, p. 379